Here are a few reasons why my mom is awesome.
- She is the ultimate cheerleader. Really when it comes down to it, there is no one that has cheered me on in life like my mom. Even when others were probably just thinking "This girl is just crazy or dumb or whatever" my mom always encouraged me. Even when I wanted to give up on myself, she believed in me.
- Although my mom admittedly isn't the greatest cook (really, she admitted she wasn't that great), there are so things that she makes that are absolutely outta-this-world. For example, potato salad. You haven't lived unless you've had my mom's potato salad. I pretend that's it's healthy and have like 3 servings worth. It's that good. She also makes some pretty awesome decorated sugar cookies. For real, people request them all the time. For some reason, things always taste better when my mom makes them.
- She is so involved! When I was in high school and I was doing a hundred million things, she came to everything. She even was on the Athletic Booster club and ran concession stands and volunteered her time at other countless activities. Even while I was in college, she was always coming to activities I was involved with. She was one busy lady.
- She let me make my own mistakes. Even though she probably knew what was going to happen she still allowed me to learn my own lessons.
- She raised me. And I think I turned out all right, kinda, sorta. I'm sure I wasn't always a joy to parent. I wasn't always nice to my mom, and still admittedly I am not always nice, but she stuck with me.
- She was green before anyone even knew what "being green" meant. For some reason, I think this is so cool. At home, my mom hangs all her laundry to dry and rarely uses the dryer. She plants her own garden and it is super awesome (one of the things I miss most). She walks everywhere --grocery store, to get the mail, to pay bills. She recycles and composts. My mom did all this stuff before anyone ever talked about global warming.
- She has really become one of my greatest friends. I talk to her on the phone probably more than anyone else. Actually I think my mom really misses me since I moved to Chicago, which I think is so cute. I miss her as well. I like being able to laugh with my mom, share stories with her, and share troubles with her.
- She has comforted me and been a strong support. My mom has probably listened to me cry more than any other person in my entire life. And I mean the ugly cry, bawling, on the phone, in person, whatever. And sometimes when you just want someone to be there with you, even if they can't do anything, but tell you it will be okay, she was that person for me.
There are probably a million more reasons why my mom is awesome. She's been such a great influence in my life and even though we don't always see eye-to-eye, I know that she will always be there for me.
I love my mom and she was the best mom I could have hoped for!
This post was inspired by Angie over at It's All About the Experience who wrote about why her mom is great.