Monday, July 7 - 42 min strength
2 rounds on the Body by Jake Tower plus other strength moves, Time: 8:15 pm, Duration: 42:00, Loc: Home, Felt: really tired but glad I got in a workout
Tuesday, July 8 - 7.53 mi ME Run + 2950 yd ME swim
Muscular Endurance run, [25 min WU, 4x8 intervals in Zone 4 (9:11, 9:13, 9:06, 9:20)], Time: 4:41 pm, Duration: 1:15:02, Pace: 9:58 min/mile, Loc: Cuba Marsh F.P., Felt: Intervals felt hard and I bailed on the last one
Muscular Endurance swim, [500 WU, 4x350 intervals, 400 w/paddles, 400 swim, 50 kick, 2x25 hard, 100 WD], Time: 6:38 pm, Duration: 1:00:55, Pace: 1:43 min/100yd, Loc: LA Fitness LZ, Felt: Really slow and crappy
Wednesday, July 9 - 27 mi ME + FO trainer ride
Muscular endurance + force indoor trainer ride, [30 min WU, 5x8 intervals in zone 4 with 4 min recover, 15 min WD], Time: 7:48 pm, Duration: 1:45:54, Speed: 15.3 mph, Loc: Home, Felt: Sweaty
Thursday, July 10 - 6.64 mi run
Recovery run, 6 x 20 sec stride form w/ 90 sec walking recovery, Time: 5:13 pm, Duration: 1:11:10, Pace: 10:43 min/mi, Loc: Buffalo Creek F.P., Felt: Legs felt heavy
Friday, July 11 - 4100 yd AE + ME swim
Aerobic endurance + muscular endurance swim, [500 WU, 5x350 ME intervals, 1000yd AE swim, 6x50 drills, 100 easy, 400 w/paddles, 100 WD], Time: 4:57 pm, Duration: 1:18:41, Pace: 1:43 min/100yd, Loc: LA Fitness LZ, Felt: Good, swim PDR!
Saturday, July 12 - 14.01 mi run
Time: 9:02 am, Duration: 2:27:02, Pace: 10:32 min/mi, Loc: Cascade, Felt: muggy and humid, walked up all the hills :)
Sunday, July 13 - 61.76 mi bike
Time: 12:48 pm, Duration: 3:57:12, Speed: 15.6 mph, Loc: Cascade to Maquoketa, Felt: Big headwind coming back in and I pushed too hard, legs were toasted by the end
Totals - 8 sessions, 120.88 miles, 13.6 hours
- 2 swims, 7050 yards, 2.3 hours
- 2 rides, 88.76 miles, 5.7 hours
- 3 runs, 28.18 miles, 4.9 hours
- 1 strength, 0.7 hours
Week 17 - Build 1 Recovery
Monday, July 14 - Rest
Tuesday, July 15 - Rest
Wednesday, July 16 - Rest
Time: 5:58 pm, Duration: 39:25, Pace: 10:00 min/mile, Loc: Cuba Marsh F.P, Felt: Good and ended up going to fast for a recovery run
Time: 7:30 pm, Duration: 59:15, Speed, 15.2 mph, Loc: Home, Felt: Good, easy ride, took a break to eat some food
Friday, July 18 - Rest
Saturday, July 19 - 14.05 mi run
Time: 4:30 pm, Duration: 2:25:32, Pace: 10:21 min/mi, Loc: Great Western Trail, Felt: Put off running all day but felt fine once I was out there
Sunday, July 20 - 81.19 mi ride w/ Matt
Time: 11:15 am, Duration: 5:18:33, Speed: 15.3 mph, Loc: Glen Ellyn out towards Dekalb, Felt: new PDR for Matt! Felt great!
Totals - 4 sessions, 114.20 miles, 9.4 hours
- 2 rides, 96.19 miles, 6.3 hours
- 2 runs, 18.01 miles, 3.1 hours
- Week 16 was my highest volume week yet! 13.6 hours! Yay! This was kind of a break-through week for me. I hope I can have a few higher volume weeks to round out training!
- I feel like my body is holding up well during this high volume training. Of course my muscles are really tight but as long as I am foam roll it doesn't feel too bad.
- I take rest week to the max. On Monday and Tuesday, I had to work late. On Wednesday, I was just lazy. I still managed over 9 hours of training so I think it was a success.
- We had a wedding to go to in Des Moines on Saturday, July 12. Since I ran 14 miles that day, I was embarrassingly hungry by the time dinner came around. I ate food off Matt's plate when he got full and then ate 2 pieces of cake.
- Due to the wedding, I didn't have enough time to get in a full ride on Sunday. I'm glad I still got out there and 60 miles is still a good ride.
- Matt joined me for the long ride on July 20th. I need to figure out how much fuel to pack for him because I really underestimated. By the time I took a break for my second gel he had already had one gel and a whole pack of Clif ShotBloks. I was not prepared for how much he would take in. It worked out fine though because we just stopped for Snickers bars. Fueling for the win.
- He ended up eating 2 Clif Shot Gels (200 cal), 1 package ShotBloks (200 cal), 1 Powerbar fruit squeeze (80 cal), half of a Honey Stinger Waffle (80 cal), a Snickers bar (250 cal), and 2 bottles of PowerBar Perform (420 cal). That's 1230 calories. I'm mostly doing this math for myself so I know how much to pack next time. I guess I forgot that he is a little bigger than me and not used to riding as many miles and needs more calories. For comparison sake, I took in about 1030 calories. So he just needs 2 additional pieces of fuel (in general, I consider one "fuel" 100 calories)